Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Commitment.

What does it mean to be "committed"? The dictionary defines the word "commit" as: 

a : to put into charge or trust : entrust

this is the definition I am talking about. (Not to be confused with the idea of being committed into a psychiatric facility). It is so easy for me to say that I am committed to my fiance. Even through everything we're going through - neither of us signed up for the cancer card or thought that would be a part of our lives. Yet I would do anything for him, be anything for him; I would give my last breath to him if I knew that was what would make him happy. But yet, it is always so hard to be committed to God. Is it because I don't see Him? Is it because I can't grab dinner with God and have a full on conversation with Him? 

I have always battled with my commitment to God, and I am wondering if this is the lesson I have yet to have learned. I will always stand up for the Lord and always defend my faith. However, I find it easy to give up on my quiet times, lose time to read my Bible, and lately, I have been losing my time to pray. I used to pray all the time. Every quiet minute I had I devoted to prayer, sometimes just talking my thoughts to God. It's also easy to forget that I can trust God. He's the one with the answers, I'm the one pretending I have the answers. I have realized this lost commitment and I am ready to take responsibility for my laziness and lack of love for the Lord. If you are a Christian, maybe you can stop and ask yourself: Are you committed to God?


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take." 
--Proverbs 3 : 5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment